The bx_oberhausen draws deeply from Brainworx Audio’s extensive experience of working with analog audio equipment to creatively craft world class mixing and mastering plugins.
As the cutting-edge company’s highly-anticipated first Virtual Instrument, it effectively revisits an acclaimed analog synthesizer expander module much loved by generations of musicians for its sought-after sound. The sound itself is reliant on fully-analog, discrete circuits and a classic state-variable 2-pole filter. Some of the key features which have never been done before on this synth is a powerful unison mode, M/S Technology and the signature Brainworx Audio Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT, US Patent No. 10,725,727).
Full analog modelling
Original or otherwise, the acclaimed analog synthesizer’s sound now benefits from the ultimate upgrade. Thanks to Brainworx Audio ably boosting bx_oberhausen with full polyphony of up to 32 voices, twice the voice count of today’s priciest poly synths remaining resolutely in the analog domain, users can create sounds that are not possible using the original hardware!
Using Brainworx’s proprietary, patented Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT, US Patent No. 10,725,727) to accurately replicate individual component variations specified by the manufacturer. This creates, in separate voices slight variations which you would expect to hear in an original analog instrument. With TMT each voice produces a slightly different sound including variations in frequencies and phases as well as frequency responses - exactly like an analog hardware would.These slight variations add the complexity, nuance, depth and width for which analog instruments are loved.
The voices can be combined to a powerful unison mode. When used with the unique TMT feature, Unison generates a rich, complex and analog sound unparalleled by any other virtual instruments.
Introducing an unheard feature to the world of synthesizers, this allows you to select which part of your sound passes through the filter section and which doesn't. Allowing for subtle effects like solid bass foundation as well as crazy stereo processing.
These are not just effects. We took some of our best products and shrunk them into an effects rack that is proudly carrying the Brainworx brand. We also asked our partners at Mäag to add their infamous AIR BAND®. The signal chain in the effects section can easily be altered by a drag & drop function.
Extensive Modulation Matrix
The modulation matrix gives you a whole dimension of sound design possibilities.
Adding Frequency Modulation to an analog synth classic allows you to push the boundaries of creativity much further than the original synthesizers.
The arpeggiator comes with all the functions you would expect from it - including an adjustable "swing" parameter.
In-Plugin Preset Management with NKS support
The preset management system allows you to categorize your presets for easy retrieval. You can mark favorites and add your own comments.The bx_oberhausen comes fully loaded with over 300 presets created by the most renowned professionals.The preset management system is fully NKS compliant and nicely integrated with NKS-enabled products.
- Full analog modelling with full polyphony up to 32 voices.
- TMT — Brainworx patent-registered “Tolerance Modeling Technology” (US Patent No. 10,725,727)
- Unison: Combine your voices to a powerful unison mode. Together with the unique TMT feature, Unison generates a rich, complex and analog sound unparalleled by any other virtual instrument.
- M/S Technology: Create subtle effects like solid bass foundation as well as crazy stereo processing with M/S Technology.
- Modulation Matrix: The extensive Modulation Matrix gives you a whole dimension of sound design possibilities.
- Effect section: small versions of effects products proudly carrying the Brainworx brand – including the infamous Mäag AIR BAND®.
- FM: We push the boundaries of achievable sounds by adding Frequency Modulation to an analog synth classic.
- The arpeggiator comes with all functions you would expect from it - including an adjustable "swing" parameter.
- In-Plugin Preset Management with NKS support.
The Brainworx bx_oberhausen is a fantastic synth. Being a owner myself of a few of the originals I can clearly tell how good this one sounds! Besides the original concept it also comes with really… Read More
I’m a big fan of the analog classic and this plugin nails its sound, plus it adds great features like the spread knob per oscillator, unison and FM which all sound really good! Loving the M/S… Read More
Fat and warm sounding when needed, and at the same crystalline and sparkly. More than capable of all your bread and butter analog style synth sounds and much more, this synthesizer expander module… Read More
Besides the original concept, the bx_oberhausen also comes with really great effects to make the most subtle or brutal patches you can imagine. A must-have for synth enthusiasts!
enjoyable synth★★★★★great sound instrument!!!!
Oberhausen★★★★★Hölle. Hab noch nie einen so gut emulierten Synth gehört. Das Ding ist echt der Hammer. Glückwunsch ans Team und Dirk. Richtig fett. Gruss Ralf
bx_oberhausen★★★★★The fattest sound I've ever heard from pluggin. Well done!
bx_oberhausen★★★★☆Yeah on the right settings it’s hungry on CPU,
Not a big deal for me, since I have a brand new high performance PC and I am used to bounce my softsynths to audio anyway. To get a the best… Read More
Supported Plugin Formats
AAX Native, AU, VST2, VST3
Additional Supported Format
Supported Operating Systems
macOS 12 down to macOS 10.11
Windows 11 down to Windows 8
Intel, or Apple Silicon (except for AAX) architecture
Display resolution: 1440 × 900px or 1280 × 960px or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
With the Installation Manager you can select, download & install all the Plugin Alliance products. Select any and all formats you need for your system! Mac & PC.
Brainworx bx_oberhausen - Changelog
Version 1.5.1 (Jun 28, 2022)
- General: Fixed potential blacklisting of VST2 on Windows
- General: Fixed potential crashes on Windows
- General: Fixed processing being Mono with VST2 in FL Studio
- General: Fixed value readouts not being present when clicking knob
Version 1.5 (Mar 15, 2022)
- General: added native Apple Silicon compatibility for VST3, VST2 and AU
- General: added macOS Monterey support
- General: added Windows 11 and Windows 10 21H1 support
- General: discontinued Windows 7 support
- General: discontinued macOS 10.9 and 10.11 support
- General: fixed metering behavior in block sizes of 2048 samples and higher
- Fixed time signature and synchronized LFO speed issues
- Fixed MIDI CC file storage issues on Windows 10
- Fixed incorrect AAX Audio Suite listing
- Fixed delayline behavior when switching presets
- Fixed an issue where legato notes may get triggered by mistake
Version 1.4 (Mar 22, 2021)
- General: Compatibility with Logic on Apple Silicon devices via the Rosetta-2 layer
- General: Fixed possible artefacts when freezing or bouncing tracks in Pro Tools
- General: Fixed automation highlighting disappearing in Studio One
- General: Improved license dialog visibility in dark mode
- Fixed crash with engaged Arp and duplicating a track in Reaper in VST2 format
- Fixed last Arp "Note Off" does not trigger release
- Fixed memory leaking
Version 1.3 (May 27, 2020)
- General: Qualified for use with the Windows 10 May 2020 Update
- General: VST3: Fixed potential hangs in a DAW upon loading
- General: Fixed logical issues in undo / redo behavior
- General: Fixed UI resizing issues in Ableton Live on Windows
- General: Fixed audio processing initialization issues on amp and delay products
- Fixed mod wheel when used via mod matrix
Version 1.2 (Nov 06, 2019)
- General: Qualified for use with macOS 10.15 Catalina
- General: Qualified for use with Windows 10 November 2019 Update
- General: Fixed plugin validation in Logic under macOS Catalina
- General: Fixed preset name restore in Logic when reopening a session
- General: Fixed opening authorization dialog triggering automation
- General: Improved instantiation times for plugins
- General: Improved license functionality and branding for subscription
- General: Removed 32-bit support on macOS and Windows
- Fixed no sound in Studio One AU
- Fixed crash in Digital Performer 9
- Fixed crash when closing editor while "Save Preset As" Dialog is open
- Fixed preset management categories not being sorted
- Fixed possible issues with preset management and plugin states
- Fixed possible unresponsiveness when creating a new preset
- Fixed issue where the favorite status was not always correctly reflected
- Fixed reverb damping not being saved
- Fixed undo/redo inconsistencies
- Fixed some minor UI issues
- Improved NKS for controller support
Version 1.1 (Jul 10, 2019)
- General: macOS 10.14.5 Update compatibility
- General: Windows 10 1903 Update compatibility
- General: Fixed activation issue in Windows hosts set to non-English language (e.g. Cakewalk)
- General: AU: Fixed issue with increased CPU and memory on reopening UI
- General: VST3: Fixed issue with adapting to host knob mode, and now prioritizing linear
- General: VST3: Fixed issue with VST3 preset permissions
- General: VST3: Improved synchronization between parameter states and some UI functions, e.g. toolbar reset
- Fixed error preventing to change presets
- Fixed reset to default modifier not working
- Fixed continuous tabbing through text fields increasing parameter values
- VST3: Improved synchronization between parameter states and preset management
Version 1.0 (Apr 09, 2019)
- Release version