Dual-oscillators with 26 modes
Unfiltered Audio's LION synthesizer contains a dual-oscillator architecture with each oscillator featuring 26 modes. Pick and choose from FM synthesis, subtractive or additive waveforms, "super" oscillator stacks, microsound, noise, or variations of each. Both oscillator engines also feature an optional Stereo mode. Modulate the unison depth of every oscillator control and take advantage of optional tuning Drift for rich, full, and lush sounds.
Experimental oscillator mixing and 16 filter shapes
LION's mixer offers distinct oscillator combination modes. The default Linear XFade algorithm acts as a standard crossfader while more experimental modes such as Min-Max, Ring Mod, Compare, Terrain, Bitter, and Ash create non-standard relationships between the two oscillators. Refine your sound further with 16 filter shapes that include low-pass, high-pass, and bandpass shapes, along with others.
Over 40 built-in effects
This synth features Unfiltered Audio's legendary BYOME effect row—a flexible library of over 40 effects that you can modulate. Build presets with detailed effect chains that react to your playing. A factory library of 600 synthesizer presets that span multiple genres is also included, making it easy to hit the ground running.
LION includes a refined version of the randomization engine that was introduced in BYOME. Use the new scalable randomization depth to add tiny amounts of variation to your synth patches or create completely new presets that bear almost no resemblance to the original source.
Peerless modulation system with MPE support
Translate your playing into deep expression using the MIDI In modulator that's part of LION's peerless modulation system. Control the filter cutoff knob with the last MIDI note value you played or modulate an oscillators' timbre through velocity control. With full MPE support, you can use controllers like ROLI Seaboard or Sensel Morph to achieve incredible per-voice articulation.
Dual-oscillators with 26 modes
- 26 unique oscillator modes, each with an optional stereo algorithm.
- Per-voice modulation.
- Eight unique mixing algorithms for smashing together two oscillators.
- 16 different filter shapes to choose from.
- Over 40 BYOME effects that allow for modular effect processing.
- A refined version of BYOME's randomization engine.
- Modulate the unison depth of every oscillator control.
- Intuitive UX through a carefully crafted single-page design.
- A new tag-based preset browser.
- Full MPE support with modular routing.
- Full micro-tuning support (via TUN files).
My first impression is excellent. The whole sound is fat and unique, it fills a niche that I have been searching for in software synthesizers. It has quickly become a must have in my studio… Read More
It’s very exciting that Unfiltered Audio took their open modular approach to synthesis with their latest creation LION. This synth will be a permanent tool in my audio arsenal.
I really like LION. It makes total sense that Unfiltered Audio made a synth. Very fresh and modern!
BT (Brian Wayne Transeau)
Lion is a remarkable achievement in soft synths. A truly new paradigm. There are familiar tools with an exotic and inspiring workflow. Less software and much more like having patch cables around… Read More
LION deserves its name because it's truly the Lion of Synthesizers. When I got the chance to test it, I was instantly impressed by just clicking thru the Presets. Right after that I started making… Read More
surprise !★★★★★The presentation demo sounds didn't really appeal to me, and I hesitated a long time before buying it. But what a surprise! What sound ! It does not seem easy to program but the presets are already… Read More
Incredible★★★★★LION really is like nothing else ! Very specials oscillators, amazing effects. this feels truly unique, a sound-designer dream !
Excellent compliment to vintage emulations★★★★★An excellent compliment to vintage synth emulations and more traditional modular systems having vintage style components. This synth is its own deal and has crazy deep capabilities, yet easy to set… Read More
Must Have★★★★★Lion Is ridiculously powerful and unique. The options of oscillators, modulation and effects are very extensive, in fact you can forget about external processing. Excellent.
Lion is great!!!★★★★★Lion is damn good synth. It took me about 1 hour to turn up and down it's handels and wires and I decided to grab it! Really cool, fat, enormously inspiring an musical! Now it's one of my favourite… Read More
Supported Plugin Formats
AAX Native, AU, VST2, VST3
Supported Operating Systems
macOS 14 down to macOS 11
Windows 11 down to Windows 10
Intel or Apple Silicon architecture
Display resolution: 1440 × 900px or 1280 × 960px or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
With the Installation Manager you can select, download & install all the Plugin Alliance products. Select any and all formats you need for your system! Mac & PC.
Unfiltered Audio LION - Changelog
Version 1.5.0 (Nov 17, 2023)
- Pitch Shifter and Pitch Delay: If pitch values change independently between channels and reset back to the same value, phases are now matched between the channels.
- Fix pesky preset change crash that is still happening on some setups.
Version 1.4.6 (Apr 03, 2023)
- Fix critical bug where delays and reverbs were producing silence.
Version 1.4.5 (Mar 16, 2023)
- Add AAX ARM support for Apple Silicon.
Version 1.4.4 (Feb 01, 2023)
- Fix preset change crashing on Ventura
- Fixes for some cable behaviors that changed between JUCE updates.
- Update credits page.
- Performance improvements.
- Fix for invalid AAX signature.
Version 1.4.0 (Mar 30, 2022)
- added Apple Silicon support
Version 1.3.3 (Aug 20, 2021)
-Fixed: modulation cables do not attach properly
Version 1.3.0 (Apr 23, 2021)
-Fixed a bug where saved projects in some DAWs would reset both oscillators on load
-Fixed preset name always showing "Default" on project load.
-Added Oddsound MPS-ESP tuning support
Version 1.1.4 (Sep 3, 2020)
-fixed a pop sound when opening the UI
Version 1.1.3 (Apr 7, 2020)
-Fixed crash when temporarily unloading plugin in Logic
-Fixed crash issues with GigPerformer.
-Fixed rare Windows crash when deleting plugin in VCV and REAPER (potentially other DAWs)
Version 1.1 (02/28/2020
- Full Catalina support and notarization
- HiDPI support improvement
- OpenGL Removed
- Fixed quantization not working on main Oscillators bug
- Fixed filter interpolation bugs on first note
- Zipper fix on LP12 filter
- added unison phase randomization option
- added legato modulation reset stop
Version 1.0 (Sep 13, 2019)
- Initial released version