Calling Zip a compressor is like calling a Lamborghini a passenger car. It does neither one justice. Zip creates unique effects and solves thorny audio challenges in a flash, leaving traditional compressors in the dust.
Zip can provide both compression and downward expansion, switching between processors with one mouse click. Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—spark compression or expansion depending on the signal level, frequency content or noise feeding Zip’s input. On bass guitar tracks, select Darkness mode to compress headroom-eating low notes while giving higher-pitched notes room to breathe. Using Noisiness mode, you can make Zip’s compressor clamp down only on overdriven electric guitar chords while leaving palm mutes on the same track loud and proud. Solving unusual audio challenges is child’s play for Zip.
Four envelope styles—Classic, Goopy, Quick and Extreme—modify Zip’s attack and release curves, tailoring them to your specific needs. Use Extreme’s lightning-fast response on drum room mics to explode the room’s ambience while simultaneously making the kick and snare sound tighter and punchier. On full mixes, Zip’s Classic style and High Pass filtering in the sidechain will make your mix’s bottom end thunder. Or use Goopy style to add vintage glue and density. Zip has many flavors.
For producing creative effects, Zip includes Unfiltered Audio’s flagship automatable modulation system. Eight different internal modulators, as well as a patch to an external ROLI Lightpad, can be used—up to six modulators at once—on most of Zip’s controls, with each modulator routed to as many destinations as you’d like using simple drag-and-drop technique. Using the modulators, you can easily create driving rhythmic effects that pulse in time with your music—without hassling with complicated external sidechain routing. Drag the square wave LFO’s virtual cable to the expander’s Threshold control to transform a static synth pad into a dynamic staccato keyboard part synched to your song’s tempo. Animate a lifeless synth track by patching Zip’s sawtooth LFO to the compressor’s Ratio knob, creating a Big Room EDM-style ducking effect that makes the synth swell in sync with the kick drum. Route the 16th-note Step Sequencer to Zip’s output gain to turn the plugin into a punchy Trance gate. Create a classic tremolo effect by patching the sine wave LFO to Zip’s output gain. The creative possibilities are endless.
For the final touch, Zip’s Color control lets you apply warm saturation, bright phase-modulated distortion, mangling bitcrushing or any of four 2-pole filters at the plugin’s output. Dial in a little bit of the vivid Contrast effect to fatten up female vocals and make drums pop. Two of Zip’s 2-pole filters are modulated by Analysis modes; use them in Noisiness mode on a synth track to make note attacks whipsaw its timbre. Patch Zip’s LFOs to the Color knob to create tempo-synched filter sweeps and pulsating distortion on guitar and keyboard tracks. Zip sculpts both dynamics and tone.
Smashing drums, supersizing vocals, and transforming a boring pad into a Trance anthem—Zip does it all!
Installers for this plugin can only be installed by using the Installation Manager. The Installation Manager is available in the downloads section below.
- Full NKS (Native Kontrol Standard) Support
- Unique Analysis modes and state-of-the-art modulation system turn Zip’s compressor and expander into tools for creating riveting effects and solving difficult audio challenges
- Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—make Zip’s processors react more to signal level, frequency content or noise
- Four envelope styles—Classic, Goopy, Quick and Extreme—modify Zip’s attack and release curves, providing a selection of four differently behaving compressor/expanders in one plugin
- Unfiltered Audio’s flagship patchable modulation system provides eight different internal modulators, including ROLI Lightpad integration, allowing almost any of Zip’s controls to be easily modulated
- Modulators include Sine, Sawtooth/Triangle and Square LFOs; Input Follower; Macro Control; Sample and Hold Noise; Step Sequencer; ROLI Lightpad; and Gain Reduction
- Continuously variable Color control provides post-dynamics processing in seven modes, respectively offering phase-modulated distortion, soft saturation, bitcrushing, and four 2-pole pass filters (two of which feature cutoffs modulated by Zip’s Analysis modes)
- Internal and external sidechains are equipped with High Pass and Low Pass filters and an Audition button for hearing the signal the detector acts on
- Controls for wet/dry mix (for parallel compression), lookahead (affecting both sidechains), switchable peak or RMS detection, and automatic makeup gain
- Informative real-time display graphically depicts the current threshold, ratio and knee, and shows multi-colored traces for sidechain, output and gain reduction levels
Zip is Unfiltered Audio’s futuristic dynamic processor, and the results are astonishing. In the past 40 years I’ve tried everything, but Zip really knocks me out. It’s like building your own… Read More
Within minutes of opening Zip, I was not only getting exactly what I wanted out of it, but I was getting what was previously taking multiple tools and complex routing to get! Zip was… Read More
This plugin enables me to get some seriously punchy compression sounds with all manner of textures to boot! It also caters to some pretty cool sound design tricks!!
Zip was my secret weapon on my new solo LP. It is a complex beast. Great compressor that blends into a sound design tool. Creative and very intuitive. This is compression for new era. Genius.
Creative Compressor★★★★★This is the one you were looking for. It does stuff I can't describe properly.
Awesome!★★★★★Glue's everything together and it sounds clean i like it better than the Pro C2 from fabfilter its more simpler and streamlined
My fav all around compressor★★★★★I love this plugin a lot! It is easy, low on cpu and has every feature a compressor needs, it's a more technical compressor, transparent, clean and precise!
ZIP★★★★★Amazing flexible compressor !
Zip compressor★★★★☆It is good, the auto threshold is very usefull and innovate. I like a lot, maybe the sound can be better, it is a little flat, even playing with the colour options. But anyway, it is a very good… Read More
Supported Plugin Formats
AAX Native, AU, AAX AudioSuite, VST2, VST3
Supported Operating Systems
macOS 12 down to macOS 10.11
Windows 11 down to Windows 8
Intel or Apple Silicon architecture
Display resolution: 1440 × 900px or 1280 × 960px or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
With the Installation Manager you can select, download & install all the Plugin Alliance products. Select any and all formats you need for your system! Mac & PC.
Unfiltered Audio Zip - Changelog
Version 1.4.2 (Mar 16, 2023)
- Add AAX ARM support for Apple Silicon.
Version 1.4.1 (Dec 21, 2022)
- Fix a sidechain modulator rendering issue on Ventura.
Version 1.4.0 (Mar 30, 2022)
- added Apple Silicon support
Version 1.3 (Feb 23, 2020)
- fixed and issue with attack and release knobs
Version 1.2 (Feb 18, 2020)
- Full Catalina support and notarization
- HiDPI support improvement
- OpenGL Removed
Version 1.1 (May 24, 2019)
- General Codebase update
- Fixed an issue with the decimal separator
Version 1.0.1 (May 25, 2018)
- Added NKS support
Version 1.0 (Oct 23, 2017)
- Release version