- How Do You Want It?A little off the top, or downright nasty, The Acme Opticom is not exactly what you'd call "Transparent" when you dig in.
That's a good thing when you're looking for this sound!
I have been using it on bass, room, overheads, snare.
- Sweet & easyThis is my favorite compressor, partly because of its simplicity and more because it has a great personality. Slow setting gives me a lazy, clean bit of level management and fast gets somewhat-to-very smashy and dirty. It's like an "Angry" setting for my drums, should I want a bit of angry (and my drums often do). Normal speed is a very happy medium and that alone is like having three very different LA-2 style compressors in this plug, but the other simple controls make this e-box even more useful. It's not perfect for every application but it is for lots of them.
So it SOUNDS great, is as SIMPLE as I could want it to be, and I actually had more FUN with this than I've had with a new toy in a while. What more could you want from a thing? - W
- What a dude!This boy just make a great job. I used all of the UAD Compressors twins but this guy is so easy to use and just sounds great. There is nothing more to say just check it out!
- Opticom XLA-3Warm sound! Great plugin!
- Fantastic soundThis compressor adds just the right amount of harmonics and grit, for lack of a better term, in a good way to make things sound better. I love it!
- Just Buy It AlreadyI have heard the real deal outboard version of this baby at a session.
Fell in love with it when I heard what it did for the vocalist.
I wanted to own it, but couldn't afford it.
But when I discovered you guys came out with a plugin version I HAD to check it out.
I figured I'd demo it for 14 days and make my decision, if I'd buy it or not.
Well...I made my decision in less than 10 mins.
This will now be my go to compressor when I record bass.
I love how it brings it to life, and sits right in the mix.
I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for a really good compressor, in plugin form, but sounds like warm analog outboard gear.
Keep up the great work Plugin Alliance!
- one of my favorite go to compsThis is by far my favorite compressor for "coloring". It can handle everything from vocals to percussions, to even orchestral elements (I love to use this on cellos - magic!)
- OptoI head this one the first time. It lifts the dust and boxyness as if the audio went trough a real custom made tube amp. It makes a very analog warm sound. Not always my favorite to use it on everything but certain sounds.
- What a comp!Amazing plug-in! It may be not for all occasions, but it's capable of adding some sweet "colour" and musical distortion...
Last but not least, its "less is more" attitude makes it a joy to use.
- Amazing OptoThis has to be one of the best sounding algorithmic opto compressors I have used. I absolutely love the versatility of it. It can do everything from smooth LA-2A like compression to saturated tonal shaping. Highly recommended!